Matlaske is a parish in North Norfolk. It has a population of 139 (2011 Census).
Matlaske had an entry in the Domesday Book of 1085 and the name comes from Old English and means “Ash tree where meetings are held”.
Saint Peter’s Church
Saint Peter’s church dates back to the Saxon period. It has a round tower of Norman origins.
Barningham Hall is a Grade 1 listed Jacobean house built in 1612 for Sir Edward Paston. The grounds where landscaped by Humphrey Repton in the early 1800’s.
Matlaske Old School House
Matlakse School was opened in 1876 and was closed in 1964. It is now private residences.
RAF Matlaske was opened in 1940 with had two grass runways housing spitfires from No 27 squadron. In 1942 the Westland Whirlwinds from 137 squadron moved to RAF Matlaske. In 1944 there were Mustang III’s from No 150 Wing of the Second Tactical Airforce and Spitfires from 229, 453, & 602 squadrons. The airfield continued to be used until April 1945.